Changing insurance to a vacant policy.

Insurance protects the property in case there is a catastrophe like a fire, tornado, or vandalism. You usually don’t need to talk to them unless one of these things happens.

When you do need them, you don’t want to find out that they aren’t going to pay. There are 2 types of policies for home insurance. One is occupied and the other is vacant.

Most people live in their homes and have the standard “occupied” policy. However, once the house is not regularly occupied, the insurance company requires you to inform them that the property is now vacant. Their data shows that vacant policies are more risky and therefore a little more expensive.

Some people try to “hide” the fact that the property is vacant to avoid any extra costs. Unfortunately, this can leave you with an insurance company that refuses to pay if something were to happen.

All you need to do is contact the current insurance provider. Tell them that the property is no longer occupied and you want to make sure you have the proper coverage. They will take care of the rest. I typically send an email in these cases so that I have documentation that I informed them that the house was vacant in case they deny that they were informed.

If you have questions, you can contact us here.

Or, go back to see more details of the Inherited Property Checklist

Rich inherited a house in Schererville. It didn't need a ton of work, but Rich didn't have the time to do the work that needed to get done. He asked us to come out and take a look at the house. We went over his 3 options and found the 1 that would work best for him. Let him tell you the rest of the story.