Go to Post Office to change forwarding address.

One of the first things you need to do when a property is vacant is stop or forward the mail delivery to a different address.

Some people prefer that the mail be forwarded to their address and others will set up a new PO Box where they can have all of the mail forwarded.

To do this, you go to the local Post Office and fill out a change of address form. Technically, you don't need documenatation proving that you have the right to change address, but it is always a good rule to bring the paperwork with just in case.

Once this form is submitted, the mail will start going to the new address. The USPS will typically only allow mail to be forwarded for 1 year.

If you would prefer to open a PO Box for the mail to be collected and not mixed with your personal mail, you want to explain that to the USPS agent and set it up at the same time.

If you have questions, you can contact us here.

Or, go back to see more details of the Inherited Property Checklist

Rich inherited a house in Schererville. It didn't need a ton of work, but Rich didn't have the time to do the work that needed to get done. He asked us to come out and take a look at the house. We went over his 3 options and found the 1 that would work best for him. Let him tell you the rest of the story.