Update billing with town utility department.

Forgetting the water or sewer bill usually won't lead to a flood like the gas and electric bill, but it can lead to a large lien on the property.

Many towns charge a flat fee and additional for the amount of water used. If the payment is not made on time, they will start to charge late fees that can really add up quickly.

If a town shuts the water off to the property, they will usually charge a turn-on fee to turn it back on.

In other towns, like Cedar Lake most houses are on a private well. However, Cedar Lake still charges a sewer fee. If this fee gets too many months past due, they will record a lien against the property that you will have to pay when you sell the house.

If you live in an unincorporated area, you don't have to worry about dealing with the town, but you do want to take measures to keep the septic and well running properly.

To update the utility billing, you will need to go to the utility department at the town hall. You should call ahead of time and ask what documentation you will need to bring in. Every town does things a little different.

If you have questions, you can contact us here.

Or, go back to see more details of the Inherited Property Checklist

This was a property in Crown Point on 10 acres.
It was just too large to maintain. We were able to bring new life to the family’s old home.

Want to know your
3 options
for bringing new life to
your family’s old home?

1.  Call or Text 219-690-8595

2.  Use the Schedule Your Free Home Evaluation Form

3.  Send an email to Mike@GrandVision.Co

4.  Message us on Facebook Messenger